Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Hot Mulled Cider

In October I had a persistent sore throat. My friend brought me over a whole jar of hot cider, right off her stove top! I love hot cider anyway, but this was sooo perfect for my throat and it tastes so yummy, I was very happy to get the recipe and last week when my daughter was dealing with a cough, I gave it a try!
Georgeanna's Hot Mulled Cider

1 qt apple juice or cider
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
In sauce pan over low heat, dissolve sugar in juice.

Add:
1/2 tsp grated orange peel
1/4 cup orange juice
1/4 tsp whole cloves
2 whole allspice berries
3 inch cinnamon stick
1 Tbsp lemon juice
dash of nut meg

Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes. Strain and discard spices. Serve hot.
I had some juicy, fresh oranges, so I zested the heck out of its peel, added a section of peel, and squoze (squeezed?) the juice out of 3 orange sections. I did not have whole cloves or allspice, so I just used a little of the ground spices I had. Mine had a different flavor than hers but it was still very tasty and soothing! mmm!

No comments:

Post a Comment