Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Twice Baked Potatoes & Broccoli

This was a *really* tasty dinner. The twice baked potatoes were a long time staple in our house and I am shocked that I either haven't made it or haven't photo'd it since creating this blog!! My original recipe was a mix of recipes we found, edited to suit our tastes. The measurements were enough for two large potatoes and one small, perfect for our very small family at the time. Now I simply add "more"!

Wrap potatoes in foil and bake for 1 hour. (I spray the foil with cooking spray, poke the potato with a knife or fork, and spray the potato with cooking spray too)
Remove potatoes from oven, unwrap from foil. Slice off top bit of potato, enough that the skin stays totally in tact. Scoop out insides, and put it in a bowl to mash. I find it easiest to use a small eating spoon to scoop out the potato.

In the bowl of potatoes, add the following and mix well:
1/2 cup chopped broccoli
1/3 cube butter or margarine
3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
1/4 cup ranch dressing
chives
black pepper
dash parsley

Stuff potato skins with potato mixture - it will be heaping! Sprinkle with cheddar cheese, put top back on, like a lid. Bake again for 20-30 minutes, until warmed again and cheese is melted.

Now for the broccoli...!
My friend sent me THIS link after they had it for dinner, and was excited for me to try it too. It was so good!! I used the same edits the original poster did- leaving out the pine nuts and eye-balling the measurements. However, I used thawed broccoli and it never did fully dry. Also it was a bag of broccoli, rather than just the florets. The florets were absolutely the best part so next time I'll use fresh! Also, I finished off the parmesan with the potatoes, thinking we had more! So when we started eating, there was no parmesan on the broccoli. My husband came home about 20 minutes later, with parmesan and the kids liked it better with. I thought it was just fine without. And SO yummy!!

I get two bunches of fresh broccoli. Cut into bites. Put on a sheet pan. Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Slice 4 garlic cloves and toss that too.
Roast at 425* for 20-25 mins until the tips are browned.
drizzle with lemon juice, a little more olive oil, and 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese. ENJOY.

*I left out lemon zest, pinenuts and fresh basil.

No comments:

Post a Comment