Wednesday, February 15, 2012

More Success!

Remember that link I shared HERE? Well we've tried two more meals off that site and they were both great!

First up, Pepper jack Potato Soup! (listed under Comfort Food)
We served it with homemade bread for dinner, and then with left overs I've had crackers on the side.
The first thing I have to say about this, is that the time listed on that link is very misleading. It took nearly an hour to make this soup so I was glad I started it way before time to eat! I did not use fresh bell peppers, I had some frozen bell pepper strips and I just chopped up whatever came out of the bag- green, red, yellow. Also, because one of our kids is going thru a phase where she removes anything green found in her food, we pureed the contents of the soup pot before adding potatoes and bacon. hee hee hee.

and then we had Taco Salad! (listed under Mexican)
While I have no doubt I could have easily thrown together foods to create a taco salad, it was nice to have the list right in front of me.
I used 1/2 lb of ground beef (instead of 1lb), black beans (instead of kidney beans) and left off the olives and the ranch dressing (my kids do not like olives, and I didn't think it needed the ranch, so why add the fat?), LOL! Also, instead of crushing the chips and topping them with the salad, I served a scoop of the heated meat/beans/corn, put cheese, lettuce, salsa, and sour cream on top and ate it as a dip. I've mentioned before that my kids tend to eat anything better if it works like a dip, so I take advantage of the opportunity to do so! This picture shows my husband's take on the meal, he got home late and finished off all that was left!

No comments:

Post a Comment