Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine Surprise Cupcakes!

Today's treat idea comes from HERE.
I got up this morning and as soon as the kids were off to school started mixing up cupcakes! I bought double-stuff oreos...because I'm crazy...and put them in 12 of the cupcake cups, and since I thought it just might be a little too rich, left the other 12 cookie free. I used a cherry chip cake mix to add a touch of festive red for Valentines Day.
When I stuck the pans in the oven, they were equally full. I found it interesting that the cupcakes with the oreos in them barely raised at all...
I wanted chocolate frosting so I called my husband to ask if he thought it would work with cherry chip cake, haha! It does work, btw- its very tasty!
A few cupcakes got candies on them too! Frosting recipe below....
and here it is, a fun little surprise to your average cupcake!
Did you have anything special or yummy for Valentines?

Butter Frosting:
1/3 cup margarine or butter (I usually use margarine)
4 cups powdered sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2-3 Tbsp milk*
1 tsp vanilla

In large bowl cream margarine. Add remaining ingredients. Beat until frosting is smooth and of spreading consistency. If necessary, thin with additional milk.
Can frost 9x13 inch cake or 2-layer round cake

For chocolate butter frosting blend
1/3 cup cocoa powder**
OR 2 envelopes pre-melted unsweetened baking chocolate flavor  
OR 2 squares (2 oz) melted unsweetened chocolate
into creamed margarine.
 
*Once again, I needed more milk to make it spreadable
** I use cocoa powder. Always.

No comments:

Post a Comment