Monday, January 10, 2011

Make-your-own Hamburger Helper?

So, I get recipe emails and peruse them for ideas.

Tonight I made this: "Healthified" Mexican Pasta Skillet, mostly because we had the ingredients on hand. lol!
I must admit, I don't use the brand's listed in recipes like these, and in this case I used a jar of the salsa my mom and I made two summers ago! haha! Also, I browned the meat in freshly ground black pepper and a bit of onion powder. I'm sure that adjusted the flavor.

As noted in the reviews on that link, my pasta wasn't cooked by the time the liquid was absorbed, so I added about 1/4 cup more salsa and a little less than that more water. That may be due to elevation since I'm at 4700ft.

Anyway, my family all liked it. Even the child who doesn't like salsa ate it pretty well. Its worth a try!

ETA: On 7/14 I made this and added 1 small shredded yellow squash. You could hardly tell it was there and the kids still enjoyed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment