Sunday, January 16, 2011

Crepes!

ETA: I have now fixed the recipe that I messed up originally. It is now a complete recipe!

I have been trying to have a dinner plan way, way ahead of time, as in, attempting to buy everything I'll need for two weeks of dinners. This post is for a friend of mine who asked what we were eating one night!

Once again, it was breakfast for dinner. The recipe comes from the Betty Crocker cookbook, circa 1974.

Crepes:
1 1/2 cups flour
2 cups milk
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I also thought I'd try to show the steps so that you have a better idea of what I do.

First, I mix it all up with hand beaters. When its mixed well and getting frothy, stop, and let it sit a couple minutes. It will look like this:
I use a measuring cup to scoop about 1/3 cup of batter into the pan. And yes, I just set the measuring cup on a plate, between each pan full.
(pardon the stove top....!)
I pour the batter in the middle of the pan and then pick up the pan and swirl it around so that it covers the bottom of the pan and goes just a bit up the side of the pan, like this:    
I keep swirling til it stops moving.
Let it cook until it sort of dries out...there will be a lot of tiny bubbles that pop, and that's how you know its time to flip.
Once you flip it, it will look like this. I like it lightly browned. Sometimes the edges crisp more than the rest and if that's the case I just flatten it with the pancake flipper and then the outside 1/3 will brown as well as the center.
Spread or top them with something yummy, roll it up and eat!!!
This is what a double batch stack looks like. mmmm! As I cook them, I put them on a plate in the oven, which is set to about 200* until we're all ready to eat.
Topping/filling ideas? Well in our house, we like the following ideas:
~ a squirt of lemon juice and a bit of white sugar sprinkled all over the flat crepe
~ homemade orange syrup, made with oj concentrate and I don't know what else
~ jam
~ nutella (with fresh strawberries or bananas)
~ applesauce
~ maple syrup

You could use any kind of fresh fruit or pie filling I bet. Probably peanut butter would be good. Just spread it like this, roll it up and ohhh what a yummy meal!
I just remembered that once at a friend's house she made a chicken salad kind of thing and put that in her crepes. But perhaps her recipe was different...

No comments:

Post a Comment