Friday, February 11, 2011

"Healthier" dinner

It was an afterthought to post this. But again, in the spirit of eating better, I opted for some healthier dinner ideas.

I thawed two large chicken breasts and cut them into strips. I find they cooker quicker in smaller pieces and then don't dry out as much. I ground black pepper into the pan and stuck the strips right in the pan. Then I sprinkled seasoning salt over the chicken but not much. Just turned them til they were done! They were tasty too, we all liked it.

We have a ton of white rice, but a- the boys in this house don't care for rice and b- white rice is not that healthy. So I bought a small bag of brown rice, intending to just mix it half and half. My friend told me you can't mix rice, they cook differently. Rats. She was right, of course. The packages said a significant time difference, and at my house, it took about 12 mins to cook the white rice and about 55 to cook the brown rice. WOW. Then I mixed them in a bowl with a smidge of black pepper so that everyone got a little brown rice on their plates. 
*Brown rice is much more flavorful, and its better for you but it will go rancid if you keep it on a shelf too long.


Then I just heated some frozen mixed vegetables and there was dinner! The boys put butter on their rice but I thought it was tasty plain.

No comments:

Post a Comment