Friday, February 4, 2011

Feeling Inept.

Two of my parents staple meals have outsmarted me in the same week.

The first was waffles. My dad makes waffles every Christmas, and for birthdays and oh, any time. But usually for dinner. On Wednesday I used the recipe from Alton Brown in his awesome Good Eats books. Okay, that flop wasn't my fault, it was that our waffle iron only worked on the bottom "plate". It took me two sets to realize that I had to flip the waffle to cook it. The bottoms were crispy and wonderful and the tops looked like soggy bread, even when I turned them. SAD! They tasted good, now we just need a new waffle iron.

Then tonight I made tacos. My mother loves Mexican food and we had it as often as she felt possible. Too frequent for my tastes then. Now, obviously, I love Mexican too and have to space it out for my picky child, lol! Anyway, my mom would brown ground beef with salt and pepper. Then she woudl fry corn tortillas, and most of them were soft tacos, lightly fried for just a couple minutes, I don't know, maybe even less. She would stack the soft taco shells on one side of the same pan holding the browned meat. And we always had shredded cheese, salsa, sour cream, lettuce, tomato and sometimes avacado to put on our own tacos.

I found out...I cannot fry soft tacos. I fry them shut, or they break or they are grossly greasy. I forgot lettuce until I was literally ready to serve. drat.


Next week we'll be back to my staple meals! I can cook those! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment