Friday, October 7, 2011

bottling salsa!

We tried a brand new recipe to bottle 19 pints of fresh salsa! ...I hope its good!!! LOL! The recipe came from HERE and our edits (you knew that was coming...) were:
  • leave out the sugar,
  • used 1 tbsp freshly ground black pepper, instead of a tsp 
  • add 3 tbsp of chili powder
  • 1 cup lemon juice and 1 cup lime juice instead of choosing one.
Also, I started out squeezing the tomatoes with my hand and removing seeds, but that was a little ridiculous and time consuming for me, so I quit. You can see below that juice and seeds come out on their own, no need to work harder, haha. My favorite tip from that recipe link is that they put their cutting board into a cookie sheet, to keep the tomato juice contained. best. idea. ever! LOL!
cooking/reducing the salsa...
and here's the finished product!! Yeay!
It is a smooth? juicy? sauce, more than a salsa because we pureed the tomatoes with a stick blender before adding anything else. That's my fault...I don't like eating a bite of onion with my chips... lol! And my husband spoils me!

No comments:

Post a Comment