Sunday, June 19, 2011

lemon bars!

This is one of my favorite treats! My family doesn't really like it tho so I don't make them more than a couple times a year. Eating an entire 13x9 pan of lemon bars on your own is not so great for the tummy or the waist, no matter how great it is on the tongue! hahaha!
The recipe comes off the Imperial Margarine box! I'll save you a trip to the store* to look for it, here you go: (oh and pay attention to the measurements in the different steps...you can easily mess this up with tiny mistakes)

"Lemon Triangles"
2/3 cup margarine
2 1/2 cups granulated sugar - SEPARATED
2 1/3 all purpose flour - SEPARATED
4 eggs
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tbps grated lemon peel
confectioners sugar

Preheat oven to 350*. Line 13x9 inch baking pan with foil (so that I can lift the whole treat out at once, and then cut it into squares...or triangles) and spray with cooking spray.

In large bowl, with electric mixer, beat margarine, 1/2 cup granulated sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in 2 cups flour until fine crumbs. Press into pan, bake uncovered for 20 minutes.

I use the same bowl, spatula and beaters for the next step. 

While it's baking, with electric mixer, beat eggs, remaining 2 cups of granulated sugar, remaining 1/3 cup flour, lemon juice and lemon peel for 4 minutes or until light and fluffy. Pour over the hot baked crust.
Bake an additional 25 minutes or until the lemon mixture is just set. Set pan on wire rack to cool completely. Spray knife with cooking spray to cut into bars or triangles. To serve, sprinkle generously with confectioners sugar.

My edits? I leave off the confectioners sugar, and leave out the lemon peel. Also, I use lemon juice from a bottle in the fridge!

*yes, I went to the store once just for that recipe- couldn't find it anywhere online and it wasn't the recipe on any of the boxes I had! hee hee!

ETA: I no longer use margarine, at all, and butter works great. 

No comments:

Post a Comment