Monday, June 13, 2011

Healthy Morning Muffins!

Okay so my favorite stranger-blog Meg (mentioned before) asked for ideas on feeding children during the summer. I know I've got one kid who is constantly claiming hunger (and her jeans are adjusted as tiny as they'll go!) so I was alllllll over these suggestions! One of her readers, Ariel, listed this recipe that was totally worth a try since I had everything in the house!
~~~~~

Healthy Morning Muffins

1 1/4 cups All Purpose Flour (spooned and leveled)
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (I personally like a little bit more, and I add 2 tsp. cinnamon as well)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup raisins
3 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (or veg. oil)
1 large egg
1/3 cup skim milk
4 medium carrots, shredded
1 ripe banana mashed up
Preheat oven to 400
Coat a 12 cup muffin pan with cooking spray
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, brown sugar, b.s., b.p., nutmeg, (cinnamon) and salt until blended.
Stir in oats and raisins. Add oil, egg, milk, carrots and banana and stir till blended.
Fill each muffin cup with 1/4 cup batter...Bake for 20-23 minutes or till toothpick comes clean out of the center.
Serve warm or at room temp.

I add in about 2 tablespoons of wheat germ....just for kicks!
I want to try some variations of this recipe...like shredded pear, ginger and dried cranberries sounds good to me! Let me know if you try anything new!!
~~~~~
*however, another reader responded that they use the same recipe BUT! she halves the brown sugar content, drop the raisins and throw in another banana. I had five bananas that needed used, and no raisins (tho I do have craisins) so I was totally good with the fruit change. Besides, I am truly trying to improve my eating so nixing sugar is a really good thing. Oh, and I used 1% milk because that's what we have.

Here's what they look like!
My thoughts?
They are drier than I expected but they are sweet and good.
This is a fabulous breakfast!
It totally smells like autumn in my kitchen (which is my favorite season).
I just wish it would come completely out of the muffin cup...next time I'll use foil cups. Will that make a difference??
Also, I think these would freeze well and can be taken out as needed, which is a great thing!

1 comment:

  1. So great to see this up! They really are the best right out of the oven, and I think the raisins help hold the moisture or something, because mine really aren't dry...hmmmm. Happy experimenting!

    ReplyDelete