Friday, December 17, 2010

Burritos at home!

Tonight was pretty busy, so I turned to another of my mom's staple-meals that is easy, quick and filling. If you skip the final step it can be pretty nutritious too. *wink. I keep mine pretty simple, which is nice because I don't have to have fresh ingredients on hand, haha!

First I lay out my flour tortilla. I like to buy burrito size for everything I use flour tortillas for. Then I use a large tablespoon and get a couple scoops of refried beans. For my own burrito I sprinkle salsa on the beans. I put half a slice of cheese on top of the beans, but shredded cheese would be fine too. That's where my burritos stop, but you can add shredded lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, anything you like.

Folding was something I had to learn. Really. So in case you are burrito inept like me, here's what you do. First, put the beans and stuff towards a side. Not to the edge, but close-ish. If you want your cheese melted, and if you want the tortilla to fold and not tear, stick in the microwave right now for about 15 seconds. Then fold that side into the middle, yep, the whole blob of food. Now fold the ends in so it doesn't squish out. I really hate that and it doesn't work so great if you fry it... Then roll it up the rest of the way and to get it to stay- slide a toothpick in to "fasten" the end down. I use the same pan to make chips to fry them, in about the same amount of shallow oil. Fry til its browned and En.Joy!

love that crispy-tortilla goodness!

If you wanted a healthier option, skip the frying. Just microwave til its heated thru, fold it up and dinner's ready! ...faster this way too.

No comments:

Post a Comment