Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Cheesy Potato Chowder

Winter has arrived.

Winter is the best time for soups and stews. I only like to eat a few meals like that and tonight's dinner is one of them. This recipe comes from my mother-in-law and is easy, filling and yummy so its a winner for me!

When I was a kid my mom would make soups or stews on bread baking day. I cheat and serve pillsbury biscuits or crackers. but homemade bread can't be beat!

Cheesy Potato Chowder
crispy, crispy bacon
potatoes (I do at least 8 for our family of four)
onion (1 diced, or 2 tablespoons of dehydrated)
corn (I use frozen...maybe 1.5 cups)
carrots (4-6 whole carrots, cut into 'coins')
garlic salt
pepper
chives
celery flakes (ground up in my hand, mortar and pestle style)
chicken boullion (about a cube per cup of water)
1 part milk to 2 parts water
1 can cheese sauce

I start by putting 2-3 slices fatty bacon in the bottom of the soup pot to brown. Basically I burn it, even by my standards of overcooking meat, haha... I take them out and rest them on paper towels, drain off the excess grease, and throw everything else into the bacon-ed pot.
Put everything but the cheese sauce into a pot to boil. (I do enough water/milk to cover the ingredients) Allow to simmer until the potatoes and carrots are soft. Put the cheese sauce in as soup is finishing up.

En. Joy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment