Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Sweet Potato Casserole

I really love sweet potatoes. This is a trend I can get on board with! Sweet potato fries, sweet potato tator tots, mashed sweet potatoes...yep, all good. Don't get me wrong- I really like white potatoes and red potatoes too. But sweet potatoes have this nice reputation that make me feel like its better for me, hahaha, and it's a good change.

At Thanksgiving, my dad has always baked or microwaved a single yam and topped it in marshmallows, and usually he's the only one who eats it.
One year my husband and I tried to put something together in place of said yam, and it was so sickly sweet no one ate any of it. sad...

This autumn, on Pinterest, I found THIS. And I thought it sounded really, really yummy. I really wanted to make it...but what if it was yucky?? I didn't want to make the whole 8x11 pan for just my family...so I thought I'd try it out as a side dish for Thanksgiving. Then scoops of it could get thrown away bit by bit instead of "wasting" the whole pan, hahaha!

So, we gave it a shot!
 It smelled soooo dreamy good!!
And it was a huge hit! I could not get enough of it, and I think all the people who had some enjoyed it. YEAY! and phew...

And since we liked it so much, we made it for our Christmas Eve dinner, and then again in January, just for dinner!
I really think it might be my very favorite food right now. My kids aren't huge fans tho, so unless we have company we have to halve the recipe.


Author: 
Ingredients
  • 3 cups mashed sweet potatoes
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 2 eggs, slightly beaten
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • ½ cup milk
  • ½ cup butter, melted
  • ½ cup brown sugar
  • ⅓ cup flour
  • ⅓ cup butter, melted
  • ½ cup chopped pecans
Instructions
In a medium bowl, combine the first six ingredients.
  1. Transfer the mixture to a buttered 1½ or 2 qt casserole dish.
  2. Mix remaining ingredients listed in a small bowl.
  3. Sprinkle mixture on top of potato mixture.
  4. Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes


No comments:

Post a Comment