Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Apple Crisp

There is no better way to welcome the cold mornings and nights than a freshly made apple crisp! Several years ago I made apple crisp pretty often. I don't know if the recipe got lost or if I gave it away thinking it was permanently memorized...or what, but I haven't found it for a long time, and its not accurate in my brain, lol! Well, now we have Pinterest! I was given some apples the other day, that needed used and after a quick Pinterest search I found THIS. I am pretty sure that is the recipe I used to use! Hooray!!
Here's the recipe I followed: 
6 Granny Smith apples
1 1/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup flour
3/4 cups quick oats
1/2 cup butter 
1 tsp nutmeg
1 1/4 tsp cinnamon

Slice & peel apples (easier in that order if you can't find your peeler!). Butter a 9x13 inch baking dish and put the apples all over the bottom. Combine other ingredients in bowl and sprinkle all over the apples. Bake for 30 mins at 375*

I sliced my 5 apples into 8ths, like you would for a kids' lunch? and then I peeled them, and diced them! (and since I only had 5 apples, I used an 8x8 pan)

I also happened to have some cinnamon chips in the house (like chocolate chips, but cinnamon) so I sprinkled about half the bag on top of the apples before adding the crumbled mixture!

I like the butter melted before I add it to the topping, it seems to come together better: 


just looook at the bubbly apple juicing and butter...!! 

And here is the scrumptious finished product!! 

I cover it with foil and refrigerate the leftovers, and I even microwave a serving for 30 seconds to get back to that freshly baked taste! I would top it with some yummy vanilla bean ice cream, but I don't have that today. Or whipped cream would be good too! 
*I also like it for breakfast!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment